Australian Light Horse Association
25 April 2019, 12:59:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reserve Regiments and training Regiments?  (Read 2509 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:27:47 pm »

David
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
203 Posts   Posted - 26/09/2002 :  5:43:44 PM 
Are Reserve Regts and Training Regts the same thing? If so why do Archives and AWM records have various holdings under both catagories (Though the majority are AWM for LHTR - 109 i think - while only a dozen or so for Reserve).Also if they are one and the same then why (in the mens records that i have viewed atleast) have they been shown to be TOS for both (at different times)#LTR or #RR? I know i have put similar queries forward before but a few details aren't adding up.While on the subject of trivial long dead admin BS - at present I'm searching through the nominal roll for the 3rdLHRR held at Vic NAA if this roll is to cover the 3rd Brigade then why is it made of men from not only the 8th 9th and 10th (as one would expect) but also the 11th? I think i need to get out more.
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1996 Posts    Posted - 26/09/2002 :  7:01:18 PM 
dave,
When these units were raised in Egypt early 1916 they were called Reserve Regts as they contained the LOB (left out of battle) soldiers belonging to Regts of the Brigade.

Each LH Brigade raised one for there LOB and excess soldiers. When they filled up most went into the newly raised Double Sqn's of which each Brigade raised one around July 1916.

Now the 4th LH Brigade was disbanded in September 1915 when it went to Anzac. So on its return each regt was allocated to a LH Brigade, there being only three LH Brigades at that time. I beleive the 4th LHR was attached to the 1st LH Briade and 11th LHR to the 3rd LH Brigade (again this is from some of the records I've seen, not 100% confirmed).

Later in 1916 the Reserve regts changed name to the LH Training regts but many units continued to use old stationary or stamps so that the old name was still seen in service records.

In Feb 1917 the 4th LH Brigade was reraised so we now had four Training regts.

When the Camel Corps was disbanded in June 1918, the 5th LH Training regt was raised. even though all Training regts were combined into the Australian Mounted Div Training Regt and the Anzac Mounted Training Regt. That is one per Division. But you can still see the old Training regt stamps being used till the AIF embarked in late 1919.

The exact date of name change I can not supply off hand and I have not seen the roll books for these units yet so can not help you there.

Kept in there.

S.B

David
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
203 Posts    Posted - 26/09/2002 :  7:17:07 PM 
Excellent,i've got the picture, thanks Steve.
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1996 Posts    Posted - 28/09/2002 :  1:18:54 PM 
Dave,
Confusion is the word when dealing with these records;

I'll show you want the problem can be by my own Grandfathers record;

By his Casualty Form (AF B 103) he is shown as "TOS" "3 LHTR" (shown as a stamp) at "Tel el Kebir" "17-6-16".

While his Statement of Service shows "Trans to 3rd LH Reserve Regt" (shown as a stamp) "17-6-16".

Which is correct?

Well both are.

S.B

David
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
203 Posts    Posted - 28/09/2002 :  2:38:22 PM 
Steve, the thing that interests me the most is more social history than military history. So first off i'm trying to find my way 'round the "facts" as far as records are concerned then i'm trying to build a picture in my mind as to what that might have meant in terms of actual lived experience.The thing i''m trying to picture is what was the typical day to day routine of men while in these Reserve Rgts or Double Sqdns? Were these units stationary - say like a depot? I get the feeling it was probably a pretty mundane experience. You get so use to hearing about battles and all the drama as it makes good reading and yet ,atleast in terms of time,it made up such a small part of the total experience .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: