Australian Light Horse Association
22 July 2019, 08:48:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My great-grandfather in law  (Read 2666 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:29:27 pm »

dianeburke
Forum Member

Australia
6 Posts   Posted - 25/09/2002 :  10:51:40 AM 
I am not sure if he was in the Light Horse but he was in Gallipoli, we believe in 1915.
My great-grandfather in law's surname was Bending. My husband is very keen to find out about him as when he returned from the war, he never spoke about it to his family. I believe he died in the late 1950's so my husband never had the chance to get to know him. We looked at the website on the war memorial in Canberra to find out if he was the only Bending but there were three and we don't know his first name and unfortunately we are not sure which state he originated from but we think it's Victoria.

If there is a website for Gallipoli survivors (as in survived to come home in 1918 after the war was over)or any other website we could search, all information would be appreciated. Or better still, if there are any descendants of Gallipoli/WW1 vets who come here frequently who have any snippets of info to pass on, that would be brilliant too.

What we do know is: he survived to marry and have at least one child, a daughter, Valma (who is still alive but her recollections are scant) - it would be wonderful to let her know that her father was remembered. Mr Bending now has a great-great grandson, Anthony of whom my husband Laurence would love to tell him stories to. My husband has been left his medals so he is hoping to march on Anzac Day with them.

Basically, we think he was extremely brave and we don't want his contribution (however small or large)to be forgotten.

Replies either here or to my e-mail of dianeburke64@hotmail.com.
Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Diane & Laurence Burke

Bryn
Advanced Forum Member

Japan
222 Posts    Posted - 25/09/2002 :  4:36:17 PM 
Hi Diane,
If you have his medals, all the information you need to find his name and unit are on them. Look on the rims of the round medals and on the back of the Star. The three Bendings who served overseas in the AIF were:

Bending William Phillip (Military Medal): SERN 398 : Born Beaufort VIC : Enlisted Sydney NSW : NOK Bending, Margaret
Sergeant, 1st FA Bde. Enlisted 24 Aug 1914; Returned to Australia 8 Oct 1918.
If this is him, he should have four medals, including the MM.

Bending Henry Christopher Joseph : SERN 1504 : Born Beaufort VIC : Emlisted Beaufort VIC : NOK Father; Bending Henry
Driver, 2nd Pioneers. Enlisted 23 March 1915; RTA 1 Aug 1919.
If this is him, he should have three medals.

Only the two soldiers above (who appear to be brothers, or at least related, as they were both biorn in Beaufort, Victoria), could have served on Gallipoli.

Bending James : SERN 3260 : Born Beaufort VIC : Enlisted Melbourne VIC : NOK Mother; Broadbent, Mary
Private, 58th Battalion Enlisted 8 Dec 1916. RTA 27 Aug 1917.

This soldier (also a brother?) could not have served at Gallipoli as his enlistment date is after the close of the Gallipoli campaign. He would have two medals.

I'd be interested to know how many medals he left, and what names / units are on them. That should solve the mystery.

Next step, order a copy of his service dossier from the National Archives website.

Go to http://naa12.naa.gov.au/

Log in as a Guest and type Bending into the 'Key Words' Search field and B2455 into the 'Reference Numbers' Field. 4 names will come up (one did not serve overseas so is not on the AWM site). Choose 'Display' and then click on the appropriate name and order the dossier. If you order an on-line dossier it's free. If you order a printed copy, it's $16.20. Both take about three months to be processed.

Good luck.

B Dolan
www.anzacs.org

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1353 Posts    Posted - 25/09/2002 :  6:55:09 PM 
Di,
I show no one by the name of Bending who embarked in any Light Horse unit.

Good luck

S.B

David
Forum Member

Australia
143 Posts    Posted - 26/09/2002 :  1:21:22 PM 
Dianne, i'd say your luck is in.I'm friends with a bloke who is also related to the Bendings and only recently was discussing the man in question.He has all the details plus a few photos i believe.I've passed on your query and he will be incontact with you shortly.
dianeburke
Forum Member

Australia
6 Posts    Posted - 30/09/2002 :  12:34:02 PM 
Hi Diane,
If you have his medals, all the information you need to find his name and unit are on them. Look on the rims of the round medals and on the back of the Star. The three Bendings who served overseas in the AIF were:

Bending William Phillip (Military Medal): SERN 398 : Born Beaufort VIC : Enlisted Sydney NSW : NOK Bending, Margaret
Sergeant, 1st FA Bde. Enlisted 24 Aug 1914; Returned to Australia 8 Oct 1918.
If this is him, he should have four medals, including the MM.

Bending Henry Christopher Joseph : SERN 1504 : Born Beaufort VIC : Emlisted Beaufort VIC : NOK Father; Bending Henry
Driver, 2nd Pioneers. Enlisted 23 March 1915; RTA 1 Aug 1919.
If this is him, he should have three medals.

Only the two soldiers above (who appear to be brothers, or at least related, as they were both biorn in Beaufort, Victoria), could have served on Gallipoli.

Bending James : SERN 3260 : Born Beaufort VIC : Enlisted Melbourne VIC : NOK Mother; Broadbent, Mary
Private, 58th Battalion Enlisted 8 Dec 1916. RTA 27 Aug 1917.

This soldier (also a brother?) could not have served at Gallipoli as his enlistment date is after the close of the Gallipoli campaign. He would have two medals.

I'd be interested to know how many medals he left, and what names / units are on them. That should solve the mystery.

Next step, order a copy of his service dossier from the National Archives website.

Go to http://naa12.naa.gov.au/

Log in as a Guest and type Bending into the 'Key Words' Search field and B2455 into the 'Reference Numbers' Field. 4 names will come up (one did not serve overseas so is not on the AWM site). Choose 'Display' and then click on the appropriate name and order the dossier. If you order an on-line dossier it's free. If you order a printed copy, it's $16.20. Both take about three months to be processed.

Good luck.

B Dolan
www.anzacs.org

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: