Australian Light Horse Association
25 April 2019, 12:58:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 9th ALH Regiment  (Read 3058 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:31:09 pm »

Judith
Forum Member

Australia
2 Posts   Posted - 30/09/2002 :  8:27:42 PM 
Hi
I'm researching the career of Lance Corporal Cuthbert ELSDON of A Squadron, 9th ALH. He was KIA on 19 April 1917, I think it was in the
Second Battle of Gaza.

The book "With the Ninth Light Horse in the Great War" has lots of details but is very difficult to read, as I can't find a map to show some of the intricate place names like Walker's Ridge and Ataweinah.

Does anyone know of a resource to give a good overview of the activities of the 9th ALH that I could use as a companion guide? Are there any helpful maps on the internet?

There is an index at back of above book of those who died with 9th ALH, in chronological order. If you know the approx date of death I can look up people for you. Also if you want info about a battle or connection with another ALH regiment, tell me the date and I'll look it up.

Cuthbert ELSDON's friends were W G GARARD and J MOLOY. If you have a connection, please let me know.

Judith

diggerdave
Senior Forum Member

Australia
800 Posts    Posted - 01/10/2002 :  12:45:01 AM 
1) Walkers Ridge is on the Gallipoli Peninsular.
2) Ataweinah is about ten miles south east of Gaza.
Volume 7 of the Official History of Australia in the First World War 1914-1918, Gullett's 'The AIF in Sinai and Palestine' has maps.

No historian with an interest in the Australian Light Horse of World War One should be without a copy of Volume 7!

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1835 Posts    Posted - 01/10/2002 :  4:51:11 PM 
Hey Jud,
I surpose you have checked to norminal sites for info on the man you are looking at, eg; AWM and National Archives.

Also do you know if Edward Cuthbert Elsdon is related to Cuthbert?

Edward enlisted in Perth WA with the 10R/ICC with his NOK as Adelaide SA. His age is given as 43.

S.B

Judith
Forum Member

Australia
2 Posts    Posted - 02/10/2002 :  8:02:53 PM 
Thank you Steve and Diggerdave.
The book reference will certainly put me in the right direction.

Edward Cuthbert Elsdon was the older brother of my Cuthbert Elsdon.
Good pickup Steve! I have both of their war records from National Archives. Edward served in Camel Corps at one stage. He had two wives at the same time (very busy guy!). I have a couple of photos of him and his mates in front of pyramids.

Regards

Judith

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1835 Posts    Posted - 02/10/2002 :  11:53:23 PM 
I have Edward being TOS 4th Anzac Bn 17th company in September 1917.
He would have been involved in some of the big battles with the 17Co. Including Ras el Nas, Bald Hill and Amman. His company being badly handled (heavy casulties) during Bald Hill and Amman.

He transfered to the Light Horse Details 1-7-18 on the disbandment of the Camel Corps.

Can you send me a photo of of Edward as I would like it for my book on the Camel Corps. Either by mail or EMail?

Thanks

S.B

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1835 Posts    Posted - 10/10/2002 :  11:34:21 AM 
Jud,
Many thanks for the photos.

Very interesting; They show the standard prints by members of the Camel Corps during their training outside Cairo. The men shown all have puttess and shorts which aludes to there Camel Corps service.

I have a few photos which show the Man with his mother above him. Also the small group of mates in the Cairo studio. These seem to be common among the troops.

I can not ID the men with him sorry!

If possible I need only Edwards, Statement of servce record or his Casulty Form (Army Form B 103) both show his progress throught the military system.

Thanks again

S.B.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: