Australian Light Horse Association
22 July 2019, 08:47:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who really was first to Damascus?  (Read 4597 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:32:30 pm »

IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts   Posted - 08/08/2002 :  05:32:48 AM 
I've literally just finished watching a programme about Allenby on satellite T.V. Now in this programme, quite a large section covered
"the race for Damascus".
I was under the impression that the Lighthorse beat T.E Lawrence and his Arabs to Damascus and am quite sure that I've read something here to that effect. This programme stated that Lawrence entered Damascus first and two days later the Indian cavalry arrived, followed a further "four" days later by Australian and New Zealand mounted troops.

My research is very much in it's infancy and I was wondering if someone could provide a clarifying statement, before I begin to doubt my own ability to retain information, as this programme has just got me stumped!

If I'm right and this programme is wrong, then it will just add to my belief that there are several questionable sources out there and that even "The History Channel" can be wrong.

Ian

Rob THomas
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
464 Posts    Posted - 08/08/2002 :  05:56:09 AM 
There is certainly a BIg Chance that the history channel is wrong!
The Official history by Gullett gives the full story and even Lawrence hinted that the story in his book was not correct.
IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts    Posted - 08/08/2002 :  07:13:10 AM 
Thanks for confirming that Rob, I was worried I was losing it there!

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1350 Posts    Posted - 08/08/2002 :  10:16:39 AM 
To be fair to Lawrence he can claim that arabs arrived in Damacus first because they had been living there all their lifes.
But as a formed body of men the Arabs force arrived after its capture by the 10th LHR while the 5th LH Bde secured the surounds.

The Arabs slipped in the back door.

S.B

IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts    Posted - 09/08/2002 :  05:20:47 AM 
Thank you Steve and Rob,
I was thinking a lot about the content of this programme and even watched a later showing, because, one, it was interesting with some footage I'd never seen before and two, to confirm for myself what I'd seen.

I am really quite amazed that the History Channel (do you have this in Australia?)which is supposed to be an excellent source of information, could mislead in this way. This channel is used as reference for some History examinations here.

I can understand that with every historic event, there might be several "true" versions come out over the years, but the inacurracy just surprised me.

Thanks again

Ian

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1350 Posts    Posted - 09/08/2002 :  10:42:00 AM 
Ian,
Don't be to dishearten as I find a lot of their programs tend to Generalize the facts.

This is true of not only the that show but others. What it should do is like you have, make one look into the facts more closly.

This opens the world of History to us all and like some one said the true is out there some where.

Keep looking

History is fun and interesting.

This is not a payed political statement.

S.B

Roy
Forum Member

Australia
77 Posts    Posted - 14/10/2002 :  08:11:19 AM 
Re: 1st to Damascus
Suggested reading:

"First to Damascus" by Jill, Duchess of Hamilton
Published in Aust by Kangaroo Press
ISBN 0 7318 1071 6.

Elizabeth Kaye
Forum Member

Australia
137 Posts    Posted - 14/10/2002 :  09:21:23 AM 
Hi Ian. Beware the words 'Duchess of Hamilton'- Rob is in Qld which is a whole 'nuther-world-away', but I can feel the fumes and see the smoke rising from way down south here!! Cheers K.
Damien.Horne
Forum Member

2 Posts    Posted - 14/10/2002 :  3:26:28 PM 
Ian, you are correct!!
If you would like more information on the matter, a great book to read is "First to Damascus", it is by Jill the Dutchess of Hamilton, it is a very interesting read.
I've literally just finished watching a programme about Allenby on satellite T.V. Now in this programme, quite a large section covered
"the race for Damascus".

I was under the impression that the Lighthorse beat T.E Lawrence and his Arabs to Damascus and am quite sure that I've read something here to that effect. This programme stated that Lawrence entered Damascus first and two days later the Indian cavalry arrived, followed a further "four" days later by Australian and New Zealand mounted troops.

My research is very much in it's infancy and I was wondering if someone could provide a clarifying statement, before I begin to doubt my own ability to retain information, as this programme has just got me stumped!

If I'm right and this programme is wrong, then it will just add to my belief that there are several questionable sources out there and that even "The History Channel" can be wrong.

Ian

Rob THomas
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
464 Posts    Posted - 14/10/2002 :  10:07:24 PM 
As we said before,,,,,,,, look at the official history of the Australian Imperial Force in World War I, Volume 7, Sinai and Palestine page 761
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1350 Posts    Posted - 15/10/2002 :  09:05:41 AM 
The point of who entered the city is also discussed in the British Offical History.
The mention is that a small number of irregular arabs of Sherifial had entered the city around midnight 30th Sept 1918.

The 10th LHR arrive at 06.30 of the 1st Oct 1918 and began to clear the city under Maj Olden.

The Arabs had been there but had not engaged the Turks also the local bedouin had been attacking over the last few weeks (they called it demonstrating) so the problem is that, yes the arabs can claim occupation of the city first since most lived there any way but as a formed body under Lawrence they did not arrive till after 07.30.

S.B

diggerdave
Senior Forum Member

Australia
747 Posts    Posted - 15/10/2002 :  10:36:31 PM 
The honeymoon is over!
I (sorry, we) throw our support behind Rob's comments.
No historian with an interest in the Australian Light Horse should be without Volume 7, 'The AIF in Sinai and Palestine' by H S Gullett.
Forget about the Duchess of Hamilton's book - go out, buy and then read Gullett's OFFICIAL HISTORY!
Signed: diggerdave, Duke of Diggersville.
Rob THomas
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
464 Posts    Posted - 16/10/2002 :  06:43:43 AM 
welcome back Mr & Mrs Dial
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: