Australian Light Horse Association
22 July 2019, 08:54:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NSW Mounted Rifles RENSBURG 1900  (Read 2218 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:33:40 pm »

IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts   Posted - 09/10/2002 :  06:44:23 AM 
Does anyone know where the prisoners from this Regiment were taken or held after their capture on the 14th Feb 1900?
My Great Grandfather (D Company, 2nd Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment) was also taken prisoner at Rensburg on this day. I'm researching his British Army Service Record and am trying to find out where he was held as a P.O.W and assume he may well have been held in the same place as the men from the NSW MOunted Rifles, as they were all taken prisoner at the same battle, on the same day.

Worth a try!
Ian

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1353 Posts    Posted - 10/10/2002 :  11:21:46 AM 
My readings of this action show the Australian units involved to be a mixed force from the 1st Victorian Contingent with Tasmanians and South Aussies under Maj GA Eddy.
The acton know as Pink Hill had a mixed force of 200 from the Inniskillings and Wiltshire Regts.

There is no mention of prisoners but a photo of the release of prisioners both British and Australian at the Waterval compound 6 June 1900. Weather this is the men you are after I can not confirm but we have a number of blokes who's knowlage of the Boer war is better then mine. Purhaps they may answer.

S.B

IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts    Posted - 11/10/2002 :  10:35:57 PM 
Thanks Steve,

Your information does seem possibly to be the prisoners I'm after.
Where did you read this though? and do you possibly know where this photo is held? AWM maybe?

If anyone else knows anything, even a minute detail, please contact me here or personally.

Ian

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1353 Posts    Posted - 12/10/2002 :  10:11:19 AM 
Yes mate,
Sorry I should have mentioned it before.

Its in "The Australians at the Boer War" by RL Wallace printed by the AWM in 1976.

The photo is a AWM print but there is no number on it.

The print shows a long line of mostly British prioners marching down the Waterval road. I would estermate over two hundred men seen.

Purhaps one of the other blokes may know more? But they don't seem to be on line!

You may find it and others on the AWM web site, under Waterval?

S.B

IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts    Posted - 13/10/2002 :  03:21:03 AM 
Thanks Steve,
I strongly believe that WATERVAL is correct, in Conan-Doyle's THE GREAT BOER WAR it says it is only 15 miles north of COLESBERG, which is where the 2nd Wilts fell back from. It was during this retreat that Maj Eddy turned back his troops to cover the 2nd Wilts and of course was killed himself.
Upon reading more, I see that these poor blokes walked back to their lines down a railway line/road and were immediately armed with captured Boer rifles and sent "back into it"!
I'll look for the photo and book, thank you.

Regards

Ian

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1353 Posts    Posted - 14/10/2002 :  09:03:50 AM 
The book mentions that Colesberg was entered on the 28th Feb by Gen Clements.
That Sunday a burial party under the chaplain and Maj Reay rode beyond Coleskop to Pink hill to bury those killed. They had been stripped.

It also mentions Gen Clements praise of the Victorian Rifles who covered the retirement of the Wilts Regt deserving highest praise.

S.B

IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts    Posted - 15/10/2002 :  08:54:18 AM 
Steve,
Yes the other piece I remember is a statement that(something Like)there are no braver men than these (Australian troops). I have a copy of a first hand account that mentions Lighthorsemen - it would seem that the British thought very highly of our Australian friends.
It makes me wonder why in WW1 Australian Troops were given such a bad name by some English Officers?
I really must read the whole of "The Great Boer War" sometime soon, so that I can fully understand "the BIG picture" and place all these Regiments accurately.
Ian

IAN SMITH
Forum Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts    Posted - 17/10/2002 :  07:18:59 AM 
Steve and all who are interested,
Tonight I received confirmation from the South African Military Museum that the British(I only asked about the British) were indeed held at Waterval(Officers at the State Model School Pretoria).
I can see no reason to suspect that the Australian and New Zealand prisoners were held at a different place, so with your help Steve, I now have one less question mark in my research, thank you.
I hope this small piece of information fills a gap in someone else's research too.

Ian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: