Australian Light Horse Association
22 July 2019, 08:53:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lieut. Bartlett(s) 11thLH  (Read 2117 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:34:30 pm »

David
Forum Member

Australia
143 Posts   Posted - 23/10/2002 :  7:18:50 PM 
There were 2 Lt. Bartletts in the 11th.I was wondering if anyone could confirm which of these was with A Sqd?I have come across a couple of letters regarding the death of one of the Tprs under Lt. Bartlett(s) command but can't decipher the intials.There was a Lt.E.W Bartlett and a Lt.J.S.Bartlett.Grateful for any assistance.(Dont mean to be lazy but have tried - Rammonds history, nor archives search results are a help and AWM isnt loading)
diggerdave
Senior Forum Member

Australia
752 Posts    Posted - 23/10/2002 :  10:02:29 PM 
If your man was killed in action on or around 7th November 1917, then the following extract from Volume 7 - Sinai and Palestine - 7th November 1917 may answer your question:
"........... The disaster was so complete that relief was purposeless, but Lieutenant J.S. Bartlett, a fellow troop leader of Brierty's, advanced boldly from the left with a Hotchkiss (machine gun - dd) and nine riflemen, got into a good position, and shot down a number of Turks who were moving from their trenches towards Brierty's party. Twenty Turks and one German officer were afterwards found dead there in a heap. Of Bartlett's party of ten, four were killed and three wounded."
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1353 Posts    Posted - 23/10/2002 :  10:56:02 PM 
yes,
John Sydney Bartlett was in ASqn.

I don't know what Sqn, Edgar William Bartlett was in?

neither officer were killed.

S.B

David
Forum Member

Australia
143 Posts    Posted - 24/10/2002 :  1:04:33 PM 
Dave and Steve thanks again.I sent off for Red Cross files a little while back and they've just come to hand .Confirms J.Sidney Bartlett A Sqd. D troop. The letters concern the death of 121 Douglas Carrington and 51 Maurice Donnelly at 2nd Gaza.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: