Australian Light Horse Association
22 July 2019, 08:49:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8th light horse  (Read 2691 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:35:53 pm »

gerry hand
Forum Member

3 Posts   Posted - 17/10/2002 :  7:03:15 PM 
Im looking for any photo;s of the 8th lighthorse as a group or indaviduals from world war one exspecialy my great uncle bert sanderson reg No 329 injured at the battle for the neck at gollipoli and invalided back to oz I have most of his paper work but no photo if any one can help I would be very pleased being a soldier my self if any one could help please send message or photo to fingers8@bigpond.com.au thank you.
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1353 Posts    Posted - 18/10/2002 :  1:29:10 PM 
Mate,
Read "Maygar's Boys" by Cameron Simpson

Its has Bert in it (no photo but).

He was MID on the 30th June 1915 and was WIA 7-8-15 during the charge at the Nek.

It does have many photos of men from the 8th LHR which you may find of interest.

S.B

Roy
Forum Member

Australia
77 Posts    Posted - 23/10/2002 :  1:16:12 PM 
Refer also to:
"The best fellows anyone could wish to meet..."
George Auchterlonie and the 8th LH Regt AIF

Edited by Allan Box
First published 1992

by Allan Box School of Education, Monash Uni, Gippsland Campus

Roy
Forum Member

Australia
77 Posts    Posted - 23/10/2002 :  1:18:23 PM 
And also:
"Heroes and Gentlemen" Col Tom Price and the VMR.

by Winty Calder

Jimaringle Publications 1927

David
Forum Member

Australia
143 Posts    Posted - 23/10/2002 :  8:26:11 PM 
Gerry if in Vic. Anzac House used to diplay the original prints of the various Sqd.s (Official Squadron portraits prior to depature). But they've recently shifted premises so i cant tell you were they've gone now. Well worth alook if able as they are nice and big.Some chap up at Buna Barracks Albury(the VMR Museum i think) got negs made of them so i heard .....Anzac House got a copy of them but they seem to have lost them! I take it you know what he looked like as if he's in there he should'nt be hard to spot. Don't wish to get your hopes up but try contacting either of the above and see if you can't get a copy or atleast a look-see should you be in the neighbourhood. Hope it's of some help.Ofcourse all of these are in Cam Simpsons book but to small for positive identifaction for the most part. Also checkout AWM and Nat Archives collection (photo database) especially the collection taken by J Campbell.
Roy
Forum Member

Australia
77 Posts    Posted - 24/10/2002 :  1:17:48 PM 
Gerry
Entry in Allan Box's book re Sanderson reads:

"SANDERSON 329 Tpr Bert Sanderson MID 8th LH BSqn (1889).
A butcher of Violet Town Victoria, he was an original member of the regiment. He was mentioned in despatches for his behaviour on Gallipolli where he became a casualty and was repatriated to Australia in November 1915."

David
Forum Member

Australia
143 Posts    Posted - 24/10/2002 :  5:34:54 PM 
Gerry , my last post i stated Nat.Archives as a source for J.P Campbells images - i meant Nat.Library Canberra.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: