Australian Light Horse Association
20 September 2019, 07:51:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: unit size  (Read 2174 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 01:37:30 pm »

Chad
Forum Member

Australia
3 Posts   Posted - 23/10/2002 :  10:23:39 PM 
I was wondering how many men and what ranks a typical unit of Lighthorse would consist of. And who was the command staff at the battle of Bersheeba.
diggerdave
Senior Forum Member

Australia
752 Posts    Posted - 23/10/2002 :  10:47:20 PM 
This may partly answer your inquiry.
The figures I have quoted are correct to the best of my knowledge.
BRIGADE OF LIGHT HORSE: comprised of three regiments; full strength with Brigade Headquarters and signallers of about 1700 men.
REGIMENT OF LIGHT HORSE: unit of light horse corresponding to an infantry battalion; full strength of 546; full fighting strength of 510; normal strength about 340; normal rifle dismounted strength, excluding horse holders 250.
SQUADRON OF LIGHT HORSE: third part of a regiment; full strength 158; normal dismounted rifle strength excluding horse holders 80; consists of four troops.
TROOP OF LIGHT HORSE: fourth part of a squadron; normal mounted strength 27; normal rifle dismounted strength, excluding horse holders 20.
Chad, it is Beersheba, not Bersheeba.
Do you have any diaries?

Chad
Forum Member

Australia
3 Posts    Posted - 24/10/2002 :  6:28:13 PM 
This may partly answer your inquiry.
The figures I have quoted are correct to the best of my knowledge.
BRIGADE OF LIGHT HORSE: comprised of three regiments; full strength with Brigade Headquarters and signallers of about 1700 men.
REGIMENT OF LIGHT HORSE: unit of light horse corresponding to an infantry battalion; full strength of 546; full fighting strength of 510; normal strength about 340; normal rifle dismounted strength, excluding horse holders 250.
SQUADRON OF LIGHT HORSE: third part of a regiment; full strength 158; normal dismounted rifle strength excluding horse holders 80; consists of four troops.
TROOP OF LIGHT HORSE: fourth part of a squadron; normal mounted strength 27; normal rifle dismounted strength, excluding horse holders 20.
Chad, it is Beersheba, not Bersheeba.
Do you have any diaries?
Thanks diggerdave that clears up some things for me. No I don't have any diaries.

Rob THomas
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
464 Posts    Posted - 24/10/2002 :  10:10:17 PM 
Note that that is nominal,,,, the units at Beersheba were not up to nominal strength. THey were actually a fair bit below.
Command of each unit at any one time varied and you can only really check that by referring to the regimental diaries to see who actually was in command on any one day. Be very wary of some of the modern stories written in the last couple of years.
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1353 Posts    Posted - 25/10/2002 :  08:53:00 AM 
As the others have said.
Units were hardly at full strenght.

Men were on detachment, leave, sickness, schools or other.

There could also be a number of attachments to a unit for a time.

The only way to check units is their strenght returns which were sent in each week by units.

Now I don't know if this was done in the LH but it was done in the Camel Corps which would mean that it should have been by all units?

Check the AWM for these and they may answer a number of your questions.

S.B
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: