Australian Light Horse Association
20 September 2020, 07:08:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rea, Robert Charles  (Read 2731 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 06:56:59 pm »

cgreen
Forum Member

Australia
2 Posts   Posted - 16/08/2004 :  1:43:24 PM 
I am hoping that someone can help me track down more information about my great, great uncle who served in the WW1. I have been able to find his details on the nominal roll. He was Private, his number 968, listed with the 14th light horse. Enlisted on 14/7/1915 and returned to Australia 24/7/1919. I have searched the embarkation rolls, but no luck.
We have been led to believe that he was with the Carmel Corps first then transferred to the Light Horse. We are unable to get a copy of his service record, as they are undertaking preservation work on these records at the moment.

My mum recalls him going to ANZAC day march, but she was 9 when he passed away. We also believe he was wounded.

At the moment Bob is buried in Rookwood cemetry with no head stone & a gentleman from the RSL is trying to help us, to arrange a head stone for him. But he can't seem to locate details on my great great uncle.

If anyone has a photo we would great appreciate a copy. Unfortunately all the family photos his two nieces had, have been destroyed.

We also know for certain that he received two medals, but my mum believes he wore more than that to ANZAC day marches.

I thank you for taking the time to read this request and great appreciate any information you can pass on.

thanks
Michelle

Glyn
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
220 Posts    Posted - 16/08/2004 :  2:47:02 PM 
Hello Michelle,
Welcome. I can assist with finding out about his medal entitlement but I'll leave more knowlegdable members to address his service details.

Once his records are accessable you will be able to see details about what awards (medals) he received. The front page of his records will have some stamps on them that represent the medals awarded and an initial in them confirming they were issued.

You can also write to:

Directorate of Honours and Awards
T-1-49
Department of Defence
CANBERRA ACT 2600

They will give you details of his full entitlement. However, there is usually a delay of about 12 months before you get a reply.

It might be worth checking the Honours and Awards page on the Australian War Memorial web site. If he received anything other than the normal service medals (a gallantry medal for example) there will be details there.

Anyone who went overseas in 14-15 received the 1914-15 Star, the War Medal and the Victory medal. If they deployed after 1915 they only got the War Medal and Victory Medal. I hope this helps

Yours in service,

Glyn

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1668 Posts    Posted - 16/08/2004 :  5:32:36 PM 
Michelle,
Bob Rea did indeed serve with the Camel Corps during the Great War.

I have a little on him which I can give you.

He enlisted and joined "D" Company 30th Battation AIF on the 14th July 1915. He embarked on the Troopship "Beltana" on the 9th Nov 1915 and arrived in Egypt around mid Dec 1915. And is shown as a 20 year old Packer from Newtown NSW.

The 8th Brigade of which the 30Bn formed part was to late for Gallipoli and by the 30th Jan 1916 he went to the Camel Corps joinning the 1st Anzac Bn 2nd Company.

He served threw out the war with this unit and when they were disbanded in July 1918 he went to the 14th LHR and RTA (returned to Australia) on the date shown on the Troopship "Dongola".

He was one of 17 soldiers from the 30th Bn transfered to the Camel Corps in 1916.

As for how many medals he had I would say by his record that he would have only two, the War medal and Victory medal.

As for any photo's I dont have one of him or any 30Bn men in my files, sorry but you may need to check the Mitchell Libary in Sydney and in the old newspapers of the time you may find an embarkment photo for the 30Bn in there.

Although not much help there is a unit history of the 30Bn which does cover well the early days of the Bn.

I am researching and writing the unit History for the Camel Corps which is still a long way from finishing. If you do find a photo of him I also would like a copy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

S.B

P.S

I don't have any record of him being wounded which is to say not in any major action of the 2nd Comapny but that's not to say he wasn't at some other time. It's also possible he may have been ill but we will need to see his Army Service Record to be sure.

You get this via the Australian National Archives by contacting direct on the EMail. The webb site in back on the forum page for you to check out.

If you need anything else please to us know and well see what we can do.

S.B

natalie relph
Forum Member

Australia
6 Posts    Posted - 08/10/2004 :  7:35:36 PM 
Michelle,
Thanks to info supplied by Steve it appears that your great, great uncle and my grandfather (Pte Charles Helmore RELPH) both ended up in the 14th LHR after the Camel Corps was disbanded and then they both RTA on the same day on the same ship (the Dongola). My grandfather's ashes are spread over the garden at the Rookwood Crematorium and like you I too am searching for info & photo's. If I am able to track down anything would you like me to let you know about it and forward it on to you?

Natalie

cgreen
Forum Member

Australia
2 Posts    Posted - 21/10/2004 :  10:18:55 AM 
Hi Natalie.
thank you for your e-mail. How amazing - we are both looking for a photos and more information. If you find anything I would love a copy. Could you please forward it to one of the following e-mail address.

michelle.green@electrolux.com.au or cgreen73@bigpond.com

I am on leave next week for 5 weeks and we are going to visit the Mitchell library. If I find anything I would like to pass it onto you too. If you don't mind forwarding me your email address, I can send it there for you.

Good luck in your search.

thank you again.

Michelle

natalie relph
Forum Member

Australia
6 Posts    Posted - 21/10/2004 :  4:41:10 PM 
Thanks Michelle, I would really appreciate receiving a copy of anything that you are able to find. You can either email it to ntrat64@bigpond.com or post it to Natalie Relph, PO Box 1368 Queanbyan NSW 2620. I have noted your email address and I will certainly send you anything that I find.
Nat
Forum Member

Australia
3 Posts    Posted - 21/10/2004 :  11:15:25 PM 
Michelle and Natalie,
Interested to read your comments. My grandfather Percival Fallon served in the 1st ANZAC BTN, 4th Company plus the 14th LH and he too returned on the DONGALA on the 24/7/19. I have a number of photos but they are most likely just his immediate mates but they do give you an idea of what it was like. Try the AWM site for other ICC photos. I also have a copy of 'Sand , sweat and camels' by Langley which is an interesting read if you are interested. John Fallon
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1668 Posts    Posted - 22/10/2004 :  07:57:58 AM 
John,
Sorry Mate I ment to get back to you about the photo's you sent.

They were amoung the items at home when I returned from Canberra.

They were great, but I can not identify any of the members shown in the photo's.

I am still to check out the disk yet but will see if these turned out OK.

Also to fill in your knowage of him I found out that he was in C Sqn 14 LHR under Maj Denson and was involved in the main action at Tul Keram when the Turks ambushed Lt Cox's troop and killed Cox and wounded a number of his men. But I can not confirm if he was in that troop.

Thanks again for sending it and if I can help please let us know.

S.B

natalie relph
Forum Member

Australia
6 Posts    Posted - 22/10/2004 :  7:41:53 PM 
John,
Thanks for the info. I have ordered a paperback copy of 'Sand , sweat and camels' and am eagerley awaiting it's arrival but thanks for the offer. I am keen to look into anything that might give me an idea of my grandfather's (Charles Helmore RELPH) life. I didn't know him because he died eleven years before I was born. I would have loved to have been able to talk to him about everything he had been through. He served again in WW2 as a commisioned officer - some of that time he spent time in PNG at Buna Bay.

Can someone tell me what the makeup and strength of the 14th LHR was after the disbandment of the ICC?

Nat
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: