Australian Light Horse Association
20 September 2020, 06:59:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tpr D J Morrison  (Read 3225 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 06:57:58 pm »

kiwi0609
Forum Member

Australia
10 Posts   Posted - 27/10/2004 :  6:12:42 PM 
Hi
I have been fortunate to get a collection of items from Tpr Morrison of the 9LH 35th infantry who was KIA at Beersheba. Among the items were several colour patches enamel, souvenir items but these are yellow and red not the usual green and yellow of the 9LH. Could anyone let me know if these are correct please? Also if anyone happens to have any further info on this soldier it would be most appreciated. I have photos and letters ( including one of the plane which dropped the bomb) and would be happy to share.
Thanks Sandra

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1629 Posts    Posted - 28/10/2004 :  07:50:54 AM 
Sandra,
My info on this man is limited to what you have.

Donald James Morrison 22R/9 LHR a 25 year old Labourer from Tantanoolia SA.

Sorry but its not much.

Can you tell me why the 35th Infantry in the above?

This unit if CMF was a NSW Infantry Regt around the West Sydney area or the AIF's 35Bn also raised in part from the Newcastle area and the 15th Infantry Regt.

I wonder why this unit?

S.B

kiwi0609
Forum Member

Australia
10 Posts    Posted - 28/10/2004 :  08:34:08 AM 
Hi Steve
I am just going by an enamelled pin with 2 bars, one 9th LH, the second 35 infantry. Will be printing off his service record soon. My main query was the colour patch and if it is correct?
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Sandra

Bill Woerlee
Senior Forum Member

Australia
656 Posts    Posted - 28/10/2004 :  09:53:32 AM   
Sandra,
The story of Trooper Morrison is one of being in the wrong place at the wrong time after surviving a battle. Trooper Morrison was part of C Squadron, 9th Light Horse Brigade. His Troop commander at the time was Lieutenant FJ Linacre, although at this moment I am totally sure which troop he commanded I am reasonably sure it was C Troop, there being four troops to a Squadron.

Beersheba was in the process of falling and the 9th Light Horse Regiment, along with a section of the 3rd Machine Gun Squadron received orders at 1700 to move to occupy a line at points 1040 and 960 east of Beersheba to cut off the Turks retreating to Khuweilfe and Hebron. The route taken was via Tel el Saba which had been taken by the New Zealand Mounted Brigade at 1530.

When nearing Tel el Saba the 9th Light Horse Regiment was bombed by 2 enemy aeroplanes flying at the extremely low altitudes of 800 feet, and suffered very heavy casualties in both men and horses, including the sub - section Machine Gun Squadron attached to 9th Light Horse Regiment. The 9th Light Horse Regiment casualties came exclusively from C Squadron. Troopers Morrison and Leahy were killed outright while severely wounding Lieutenant FJ Linacre and Captain H Williams and 9 Other Ranks. 19 horses were killed and 6 were wounded. It was the New Zealanders who took most of the casualties from this air raid, 11 Other Ranks being killed. The total butchers bill was 13 other ranks killed while 3 Officers and 17 Other Ranks were wounded. The horse casualties were high resulting in 32 killed and 20 horses wounded.

While this chaos was going on, the wells in Beersheba were being blown up after the 4th and 12th Light Horse Regiments had taken the town.

But this wasn't the only damage inflicted by these two aeroplanes. They went onto have a go at the 8th Light Horse Regiment and mortally wounded the CO, Lieutenant Colonel Maygar, VC, DSO, who died the following day. So ended the heroic Maygar of Maygar's Boys.

The air raid was one of spite rather than of influence. The battle was over so the aircraft had no strategic purpose. They were there, they had bombs and they had targets of opportunity so they dropped them where they could do the maximum damage. That they actually caused so many casualties in near dark conditions bears testimony to the capabilities of the pilots. However, their time too was short for in six days all the aircraft at Tel el Sheria will be either destroyed by Keith Smith and his pilots or captured. Two were captured intact.

On a historical note, this was the last effective use of aircraft by the Turks. Subsequent to this, the Air Flying corps had total air superiority which resulted in the Turks suffering horrendous losses in the field.

Not that this in any way assisted the person who is the author of your collection. He died subsequent to Beersheba but as a consequence of Beersheba.

As to the letters and photographs Sandra, I am wondering if it is at all possible to obtain a copy of them. Currently I am putting together a diary of my children's great grandfather who happened to be in the 9th Light Horse Regiment and at Tel el Saba when the air raid occurred. While I do not have any direct words from him, I do have the Regimental and Brigade war diaries although their entries are rather terse and need amplification as I have done above so the feeling of the action can be conveyed.

Cheers

Bill

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1629 Posts    Posted - 28/10/2004 :  11:04:15 AM 
Sandra,
Just an idea but did all these items belong to Donald?

On going threw my Grand fathers gear I found a Boer war medal which I could not identify as no family had gone that I knew of.

It turned out to be a relation of his and he was given it many years ago and was amung items from a number of family members of all three wars.

Also my "Memories Box" has many items from my years in Service with a number of British and Autralian badges I picked up over the time I was in.

S.B

dped
Forum Member

Australia
163 Posts    Posted - 28/10/2004 :  12:02:16 PM 
Dear Sandra,
Red/yellow were the original colours of the 9th Light Horse.
Regards. Don. W. Pedler.
kiwi0609
Forum Member

Australia
10 Posts    Posted - 28/10/2004 :  2:43:46 PM 
Thank you all for your help, it has been informative and greatly appreciated.
Bill if you send me your address, I will get copies to you in the next couple of weeks. My email address is mekessar@senet.com.au
Don I think I saw you at the State Library today, you were probably replying then!
Regards Sandra

diggerdave
Senior Forum Member

Australia
800 Posts    Posted - 28/10/2004 :  7:55:14 PM 
Good evening to you, Sandra.
The 35th Battalion enamel colour patch badge you have, is it oval shaped and coloured brown over green?
Bill Woerlee
Senior Forum Member

Australia
656 Posts    Posted - 29/10/2004 :  06:53:24 AM   
Sandra
I sent you an email to the address you have listed but sadly it bounced. I am wondering if you could check your details again or even better, go to my profile which has my email address and send me one so I can then send you the war diary entries.

Alternatively you can just click on this link:

goodelyfe@hotmail.com

Thanks Sandra.

Cheers

Bill

kiwi0609
Forum Member

Australia
10 Posts    Posted - 29/10/2004 :  07:33:49 AM 
Hi Dave
The 35 infantry is just like a blue enamel bar suspended from a 9th LH blue enamel bar. The enamel colour patch I have is a rectangular one which I have been told is an early 9LH
Cheers Sandra
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: