Australian Light Horse Association
26 October 2020, 02:04:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: slouch hat  (Read 3977 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 07:40:30 pm »

beau simpson
Forum Member

Australia
6 Posts   Posted - 23/11/2004 :  12:58:02 PM 
can any members tell me when the slouch hat was first worn ?
also was it common for soldiers to have their photo on postcards.
I recently came across a post card that I am trying to confirm identity of soldier
beau simpson
beau

troopone
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
217 Posts    Posted - 23/11/2004 :  3:12:26 PM 
For a concise hisory of the slouch hat and emu plume go to http://www.anzacday.org.au/education/tff/slouch.html

james harriss
Forum Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts    Posted - 09/12/2004 :  06:31:36 AM 
I don't know about Australia, but soldiers portraits on postcards were very common in europe from the late victorian period untill after WW1. Beware though, if there is a number on the back it is likely to be the photo studios reference number not the soldiers service number.
stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1628 Posts    Posted - 09/12/2004 :  07:55:52 AM 
Mate,
Postcard size photo's have been commen since photography was invented.

Prehaps the first mass use of this medium was the American Civil War where soldiers of all sides took photos of them selves before during and after the war. So many are are that its a great area of study.

Of cause europe was another area of interest because of the wars of the Prussian Riech in 1866 and 1870 and other Europian wars at that time. These involved major countries including the German states, France, Denmark, Italy and Austria.

So at the time of the Great War photographers went strait into camp with the first AIF. I have the names a of many companies that set up to get there photos of men before going overseas. And these photo Companies/shops had a busy time during the war as they set up behind the battle front.

Their are also a large number of photo books that came around that time I have two in my collection including one showing a large number of the 12th LHR under traing and another of the First Fleet showing all ship that left and asembled at Albany WA with many ship's photos.

Many of these soldier photos were made as post cards because they could then be posted home. Of cause I have seen few that have had this happen, most were placed in an enverlope and then sent home.

Hope this gives you a better idea that there are some many photos around.

S.B

Bill Woerlee
Senior Forum Member

Australia
655 Posts    Posted - 09/12/2004 :  09:19:08 AM   
Steve, just to add to your comments, this was the era when Kodak has mass produced the Brownie Box Camera, so photography became the ordinary rather than the plaything of the rich and famous. A great many soldiers took a camera with them to war. They took snaps of everything. This was the first war where the ordinary soldier was able to record their actions through instant portraits and photographs. It democratised war.
One of the most popular snap subject was macabre in nature - taking photographs of the dead. Many soldiers' photographs were preoccupied by this subject. There are heaps of these snuff photographs available. Not only were they popular amongst the troops but also with the audience at home. They may not turn up on the photograph albums but they were there. As you suggested, the photographic tradition commenced at the Civil War. So did this obsession with death. The most popular Civil War photographs were of the dead on a battlefield. So too was it true in the Great War.

Cheers

Bill
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: