Australian Light Horse Association
20 September 2020, 07:56:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: M. Maurice Waugh  (Read 6579 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 05:52:38 pm »

Walrus
Forum Member

Australia
3 Posts   Posted - 14/05/2004 :  10:31:48 AM 
People,
I have a suspicion that my great-uncle, Maurice Waugh, who was killed in PNG 1945, may have been LH between 1918-1930. I have a photo of him in an LH uniform taken - I believe - in the 1920s and his sister remembered him wearing a hat with 'kangaroo feathers'. However, he was RAAChD in WW2, not Armour. My mother has unearthed an old spoon that belonged to Maurice's sister, it has the inscription "17LH" on the handle.

Does anyone out there have information on 17th Lighthorse? I seem to remember reading that it was raised in or around Kyneton, Vic.

Walrus

One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.

Roy
Forum Member

Australia
77 Posts    Posted - 14/05/2004 :  4:48:38 PM 
Hi Walrus:
Following notes from 4/19 PWLH internally published Heritage Booklets may Assist:

The 17th (Prince of Wales)Light Horse may be traced from the Kyneton, Castlemaine and Sandhurst (Bendigo) Troops of the "Royal Volunteer Cavalry Regiment" raised in 1862 and which, between 1863 and 1874 formed part of the PWVVLH.
At the re-org of 1903 there was not any mounted unit in existence at Bendigo, Castlemaine or Kyneton. It was not until 1911 that a unit titled the "19th Light Horse (VMR)" was formed. In 1912 the unit became the "17th Light Horse (VMR)" with detachments at Rochester, Echuca, Kerang, Pyramid Hill, Mitiamo, Castlemaine, Kyneton, Dingee, Koondrook, Elmore, Bendigo and Deniliquin.

The title was altered in 1916 to the "17th (Campaspe Valley) Light Horse. In 1929 permission was obtained from London to adopt the title "Prince of Wales Light Horse"
The unit later linked with the 19th LH and was known as "17th/19th Light Horse Regiment", until 1936 classified as a machine gun regiment. It unlinked from the 19th and enjoyed the title of "17th Light Horse(Machine Gun) Regiment (The Prince of Wales' Light Horse)", allotted to the 2nd Cav Div (5th Brigade). Detachments were at Bendigo, Swan Hill, Cohuna, Rochester Lockington, Echuca and Kyneton.
In December 1941 the regiment was re-named "17Th Machine Gun Regiment" subsequently changed in March 1942 to "17th Motor Regiment", in each case retaining the territorial title.
Unit histories show that also in March 1942, the Regiment was redesignated as "104th Motor Regiment" changing back to "17th Motor Regiment" soon after. The 17th Motor Regt disbanded on 19 Feb 1943.
Regimental Motto: "Loyalty"
Colour patch: Equilateral triangle divided from top right to bottom left, top half black, bottom red.
Badge: Plume of Prince of Wales resting on a boomerang over which was '17-LH'

The 17th is one of the ancestor units of the present 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment.

Regards

Roy

Walrus
Forum Member

Australia
3 Posts    Posted - 14/05/2004 :  4:57:25 PM 
Roy,
This is excellent. Thanks for your input. Do you happen to know where the archives might be? My searches on the NAA site draw a blank for "17 LH".

Walrus

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1628 Posts    Posted - 14/05/2004 :  5:59:56 PM 
Sorry Mate,
Militia are not on the NAA lists.

As to finding them that is the $4,000,000,000 question.

You could try the archives in Melbourne or check the local papers of the time.

Its the sadness part of our military history that these men and their service is on the whole lost to us for good.

S.B

Roy
Forum Member

Australia
77 Posts    Posted - 14/05/2004 :  7:25:57 PM 
Walrus
Department of Veterans' Affairs web site has a nominal roll for WW2.
It has an entry for NX 157165 (N281952) Moses Morris Waugh.
His entry states that at the date of his death (18 Feb 45)he was posted as a Chaplain to the Royal Australian Electrical & Mechanical Engineeers, at their Lae Workshops.

It also states that he appears on a roll of honour at Whitton NSW

The DVA site contains a link to National Archives from whom can be ordered his service record.

I have also checked source material cited by Dave Holloway in his history of 4/19 PWLH (Hooves Wheels & Tracks). It does not give a lead to any available official archival material on 17 LH. Hover the book does have a chapter on the Light Horse (including 17th) between the wars which might provide further background.

nimmo
Forum Member

Australia
23 Posts    Posted - 14/05/2004 :  8:51:45 PM 
Have you tried the Research section of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra? Or the Research section of the Australian National Library,which has a newspaper microfilm section covering most(if not all)the newspapers published in Australia past and present.I reckon that is your best chance.
troopone
Advanced Forum Member

Australia
217 Posts    Posted - 15/05/2004 :  8:59:53 PM 
It is most unlikely that you will find any archival material on the CMF Light Horse units. The best place to look is in local newspapers for articles about local shows and attendance by locals at annual camps. Your other alternative is to appeal to people in the local area for information they may have in their personal files.
Walrus
Forum Member

Australia
3 Posts    Posted - 17/05/2004 :  08:17:17 AM 
People,
Thank you all for your replies. I have all the AWM and NAA records for Maurice and have already written a preliminary biography. There is a big hole in my knowledge about his life in the 1920's that I would like to fill in, and I just this gut feeling that the LH is involved somewhere.

Walrus
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: